Forums > General Discussion

People who operate on 6 or less hours of sleep... HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Posts (10)

• o_TheMuffin_o

o_TheMuffin_o FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Full of nanners

#32949041 - 1 year ago

So recently I've been working on some side projects at home and haven't been getting to bed till 12-1AM and my alarm goes off at 6:30AM. I'm nearly immobile when that music starts blaring as I'm used to getting around 8 hours. How do you people do it? My brother manages 4-5 hours maximum a night and goes through his entire work day, raises two kids when he gets home and repeats it every weekday with literally no ill effects. Is it just something you get used to or do you think there is some mental/physical programming that some people just have that allows them to do it?

• CitySelby

CitySelby FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32949066 - 1 year ago

A little column A, a little column B.

I do it because I can't really do anything else and it sucks. On a good night I fall asleep somewhere around 3-4am and wake up at 8 or whenever my alarm goes off for the day. Or it'll flip and I wake up at 4am, at which point what the hell. If you have the chance to get a full night's sleep, do it- side projects should not come before health if you can finagle time elsewhere for them. There are plenty of articles online on the differences between so-called Early Birds and Night Owls, and a lot of the same things can be said for normals and insomniacs, especially the higher risk for clinical depression and other mental health dangers. Your brother's situation is probably not as rosy as you think it is.

• Gornstar

Gornstar

#32949457 - 1 year ago

I usually got to bed around 1-1:30 a.m and wake up at 6 a.m for school. I don't know if there is one thing that helps me do it, I would definitely say I have adjusted to it by now but I gradually got less and less sleep over my high school career. I think if you really wanted to you could get used to getting less sleep, but I would do what ever lets you feel the best when you wake up.

• peetey

peetey FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Am I cool yet?

#32949670 - 1 year ago

Its hard for the first 20 minteites you wake up but after its a cake walk

• QuinMcLivan

QuinMcLivan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Avatar

#32949678 - 1 year ago

I have an alarm set for 5am every morning for work.
    I make sure I go to bed at about 11pm so I can try and get 6 hours sleep.
    My step-dad mentioned sleep cycles to me and says on average one REM sleep cycle thingymajig (don't know the technical terms, just get the theory behind it) is about 3 hours.
    So going off of just 3 hours sleep should feel like you've been well rested because you woke up closer to a time that you might be in 'less deep' of a sleep.

Tonight I got home at about 11:30pm and wasn't quite ready to go to sleep. It's now 12am and theoretically I should feel well rested if I begin sleeping at about 2am, 3 hours sleep.
    I used to think that it was all about the amount of time I slept, but this little trick hasn't failed me yet. Could be all in my head and a big placebo effect? Could be legit shit. I haven't a clue, don't really care.

It's like knowing we should go to bed because we feel tired, but the other way around.
    We're not conscious of it (because we're asleep) but I think there are multiple times where we're 'more ready' to wake up.
    I'm sure there's some Google info on sleep cycles or something, can't really be bothered finding any. Kinda tired. But it would give me something to do for the next hour and fifty minutes.

Hope it works for you if you try it.

Have a lovely day! :D

• VokunAhZin

VokunAhZin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold A Comedian With a Voice

#32950010 - 1 year ago

Well, for me personally, it's easy. I don't have the ability to sleep at times because I suffer from insomnia. After a while your body just kind of gets used to the lack of sleep and adapts to compensate for it. I don't recommend you try to change to a 4-5 hour sleep schedule, but I can't really stop you

• HizumiKetsue

HizumiKetsue

#32951378 - 1 year ago

I think in a way it comes down to what some people mentioned. A sort of cycle that you body just grows into. Myself, i never seem to be able to not sleep. But at the same time, i can run on only 1 hour of it. (Done it many times in the past)

The real thing is that i don't think it's per say healthy for your body to get less then i think it was 6-8 hours. But if you have to, you do what you have to do. But yah having side projects myself i can understand your pain about knowing when to sleep. You just get sucked in and time flies and then your like damn.

Overall you could just try drinking some apple juice when you wake up. And hope for the best?

• Jesterskull0

Jesterskull0 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32951503 - 1 year ago

I been able to do 6-8 hours with coffee.......(I hated coffee before, but really did save me, now I dont mind it, getting some now.) Mind you on days I am off, like now, I take little naps.

• Dovahkiwi

Dovahkiwi FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32951891 - 1 year ago

To be honest I don't - I sleepwalk through most days. It's a problem, really.

• xLilCubbie25

xLilCubbie25 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Hoot

#32952659 - 1 year ago

I feel so much better if I only sleep for 6 hours, than if I sleep for 8-10 hours. I started getting less sleep in high school due to my schedule being packed with sports plus my procrastination as a teenager and having homework to complete. I guess my body just adjusted to it.